It’s heating up in Rocky Point! It’s time to bring out the swimsuit, dive into pools, stroll along beaches, wade into the sea, and explore several ways to refresh yourself. There are unending summer activities in Puerto Peñasco to add to your travel list.
Thousands of people seek out the beaches of Puerto Peñasco for their warmth, as well as to enjoy the many temperature changes that can be felt in a single day! Although high temps during the day can be felt as June begins, evenings and nights are still pleasantly fresh and enjoyable. July and August tend to be a bit more sultry at the beach, as humidity increases given the monsoon season to the north.
Here are some of the top activities you can enjoy in Puerto Peñasco this summer:
– Welcome the morning with an early beach walk as the sun is making its appearance. You can contemplate the peaceful sea, sound of the waves, and the early-birds singing their morning song.
– Kayaking or SUP. Navigate a kayak, or hop on a Stand Up Paddleboard while exploring new safe waters where to row. Jetskis and banana boats are also delights cutting across the water!
-Take an ultra-light ride where you can better appreciate the sea and city scape from a bird’s eye view. This is an experience that requires bravery and guarantees an adrenaline rush.
-Treat yourself to a cruise! Enjoy a spectacular sunset as you sail aboard one of the many cruise options Puerto Peñasco has to offer. Or how about a day trip out to Isla San Jorge “Bird Island” to enjoy the company of sea lions and the thousands of birds that give this protected island its name. Snorkeling and kayaking are always on the day’s agenda when out on a trip to Bird Island!
– Sandboarding! If you’ve got a board and ready to hit the sand dunes, we highly recommend doing this activity in the early morning hours, before the sun heats the desert sand, or in the evening close to sunset.
– Go swimming in resort/hotel pools and relax that body of yours. Check the waves and tides if you prefer to swim out at sea, though everyone should make sure to use good sunscreen!
– A relatively unknown activity in the area is scuba diving! Yes! There are specialized groups that offer instruction and dive opportunities, where you will find hundreds of unimaginable sea creatures.
– How about a little bit of speed under the sun on an ATV/UTV? This yearlong option is an exciting thrill for all!! Be sure to wear a helmet and drive carefully in specially designated areas.
– A trip to CEDO. Visit the Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans in Las Conchas to see the whale skeleton and learn more about the Sea of Cortes. Be sure to check their NaturArte ecotour trips, including exploration of area tidepools, kayaking, and more!
– A highly recommended must do is a visit to the Schuk Toak Visitors Center of the Pinacate and Grand Desert of Altar Pinacate Reserve. The eco-sustainable museum offers a wealth of information about the volcanic flows and mysteries of this spectacular UNESCO named Natural World Heritage Site.
– Beyond the Schuk Toak Visitors Center are the craters of the Pinacate Biosphere Reserve itself. While summer may not be the best time to hike through the desert, be sure to go in the early morning hours before temperatures rise and to take lots of water!