Come to Rocky Point

How to get to Puerto Peñasco

How to get to Puerto Peñasco

Travel by road continues to be the most common way to get to Puerto Peñasco. In recent years, charter flights have also begun to bring people to the area from different spots in Mexico.

General location: Puerto Peñasco also known as Rocky Point is nestled in the northwestern corner of the Mexican state of Sonora, on Mexican highway #8 approximately 65 miles from the Lukeville, AZ/ Plutarco Elias Calles (Sonoyta) border crossing. It is important to note the Lukeville/Sonoyta border entry is closed from midnight until 6 a.m.

From Phoenix: Heading West from Phoenix on I-10, take Exit 112 (Highway 85 South). Continue on Highway 85 through Gila Bend, Ajo, and Why, AZ to the Lukeville crossing.From the southern side of the Phoenix area, take AZ 347 S through Maricopa to AZ 84 W, and then I-8 toward Gila Bend/ San Diego. In Gila Bend, take Highway 85 South. Another option from Maricopa is AZ 238 to Gila Bend.

From Tucson: Take Ajo Way / AZ 86 W through Sells to Why. Turn left on Highway 85 S and continue on 85 to the Lukeville crossing.

From California and southwestern AZ: Puerto Peñasco can now be easily reached by car along the new Coastal Highway 003. From the US/Mexico border near San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, take Mexico highway 2 east to highway 003 that leads to Santa Clara Gulf. From Santa Clara to Puerto Peñasco it is about 1½ hours.

Note: Part of this section is a toll-road.For crossing back into the U.S. by land – IMPORTANT!!: As of June 1, 2009 a passport or passport card will be required for returning to the U.S.

By Air: The Sea of Cortés International Airport is approximately 9 miles southeast of Puerto Peñasco on the Peñasco – Caborca highway #37.

The airport currently offers two runways and can receive both private and commercial planes. In 2010 the airport began to welcome charter flights from various Mexican cities including Juarez, Chihuahua, Tijuana, B.C., and Queretaro, Queretaro. For more information concerning charters, please contact the OCV directly in Puerto Peñasco.For private planes, please review Airport tab above (top of screen).

Please contact the airport directly at or by tel. from the US (011-52) 638-383-6097 to address any questions or concerns.

From Rocky Point to…CityApproximate time /miles
 Tucson, AZ4 hours / 215 miles
 Phoenix, AZ3.5 hours / 215 miles
 Hermosillo, Sonora5 hours / 286 miles
 Nogales, Sonora6 hours / 242 miles
 Mexicali, B.C.4 hours / 190 miles
 Tijuana, B.C.5.5 hours / 335 miles
 San Diego, California6 hours / 360 miles
 Golfo de Santa Clara (new coastal highway)1.5 hours / 87.5 miles


Discover Rocky Point Find inspiration in Puerto Peñasco’s natural beauty and  unique landscapes. Bird Island (San Jorge Island) One of the most important islands nationally,

How to get to Puerto Peñasco

How to get to Puerto Peñasco Travel by road continues to be the most common way to get to Puerto Peñasco. In recent years, charter

More info »

Passport Requirement for reentry to the USA

Passport Requirement for reentry to the USA

For crossing back into the U.S. by land – IMPORTANT!!: As of June 1, 2009 a passport or passport card is required for returning to the U.S under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

for reentry
to the USA

For crossing back into the U.S. by land – IMPORTANT!!: As of June 1, 2009 a passport or passport card is required for returning to the U.S under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Have Changed- Make sure you are compliant today!

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the following travel documents:

  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. passport card (only valid for travel by land and sea)
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program cards: Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST
  • Children under 16 arriving by land or sea my present an original or copy of birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate
  • U.S. lawful permanent residents: Permanent resident card (Form I-551)
  • U.S. Military: Valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders

Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth as possible. For additional information please visit

More info »

Declarations entering Mexico

When entering Mexico

When entering Mexico by plane, travelers are given an official Customs Declaration Form to complete along with the tourist card (FMT). When crossing into Mexico by car, however, you must select carefully which lane to enter. When crossing at the Lukeville-Sonoyta entrance, there is generally only one “Nothing to Declare” lane open, while for “Voluntary Declaration” you will need to turn left BEFORE going forward to the stoplight, park, and walk to the small office located in the center of the entry in order to make a formal declaration and pay any taxes, as applicable. More info on Mexico Customs

If you are not doing a Voluntary Declaration, as you progress past the US/Mexico border, there is a stoplight as well as a traffic arm. A Green light means you may continue without further inspection. After the traffic arm goes up, it is still best to see if the customs agents signal you over to the left for an inspection anyway.  A Red light means you must pull into the customs inspection area, located on the left. Roll your windows down, but do not get out of the car unless asked. The inspection generally involves a few questions as well as looking through items you may be transporting in the car.  Important! If you have more than the allotted amount of merchandise and fail to Declare Voluntarily, your vehicle and all other items can be confiscated.

Nothing to Declare
Individuals traveling into Mexico as tourists by car are allowed $75 USD tax free* each in new merchandise per person (it is helpful to have receipts). *Note: Border zone residents (of legal age – 18) are allowed up to $150USD (i.e. Mexican residents in the border region, or foreigners with FM2, FM3, or immigrant status visas), though this may not exceed $400 US per car when traveling with multiple passengers.  *Programa Paisano is a program for Mexican citizens residing abroad that increases the amount on duty-free items during specific times of the year (i.e. Winter holidays Nov – early Jan., around Semana Santa / Easter Break, and Summer) for travel beyond the border region (or rather, these increases do not alter the amounts allowed for tourists, Mexican citizens who reside in the border region, or foreigners with Temporary/Permanent Resident visas living within the border region…Rocky Point is considered within the border region).

In addition to the information above, travelers may have personal items including:
•  Articles for personal use including clothing, shoes, hygiene and beauty products – provided that these correspond to the length of the trip. This includes one bridal ensemble (dress, veil, etc.).  For babies, articles may include items for hygiene and entertainment including portable crib, stroller, chair, among other items, as well as accessories (infant must be in vehicle).
•  2 cameras or video cameras, including 12 rolls of film or video cassettes, photograph material, two cell phones or radio equipment; a portable typewriter, electronic planner, a portable computer (laptop, notebook, omnibook, etc.); a portable copier or printer, portable projector, and accessories.
•  2 sets of personal sports equipment, four fishing rods, three (surf)boards with or without sails and accessories, trophies or acknowledgments provided these may be transported normally by a traveler; a stationary walker and stationary bicycle
•  1 portable apparatus to record or reproduce sound, or a digital sound reproducer or portable CD and a portable DVD, as well as set of speakers and accessories
•  5 laser disks, 10 DVDs, 30 CDs or audio cassettes; 3 packages of software and 5 electronic storage devices
•  Books, magazines, and printed documents
•  5 toys, including collection items, and a video-game console, as well as 5 video games
•  A device to measure blood pressure or blood glucose, as well as medication for personal use (with your prescription).
•  Luggage or suitcases to transport items
•  For passengers older than 18:  20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco; up to 3 liters of alcohol (that is not wine) and 6 liters of wine
•  One binocular and telescope
•  2 (portable) musical instruments and accessories
•  1 tent and other camping articles
•  For older adults or those with disabilities: articles that decrease limitations including walkers, wheel-chairs, crutches, and canes, among other items.
•  A (portable) tool kit consisting of a drill, wrenches, screwdrivers, car cables, among others.
•  2 cats or dogs, accessories for their travel and hygiene – provided presentation of animal certification issued by the Secretary of Agriculture, Ranching, Rural Development, Fishing and Feed (SAGARPA)

Voluntary Declaration
•  If the value of new merchandise you are carrying surpasses the allotted customs amount of $75 USD per person (or $150 USD for border residents – see details above), as you cross the US/Mexico border and prior to going through the entry lane, turn left and park in the designated area (this is at the Sonoyta entry). Collect receipts for all items and present these to the Tax (Hacienda) official located in the small building located between the lanes entering and exiting Mexico.
•  The Tax official will fill out a form indicating the items you are transporting, value, and tax assessed. Sometimes they will inspect the vehicle and goods directly. Merchandise is subject to a flat 16% tax (or 90% for alcohol or tobacco above the allotted amounts).
•  After completing the form, take this to the Banjercito window (the tax agent should direct you) located around the side of the principal customs building on your left (entering Mexico). NOTE:  Banjercito DOES NOT ACCEPT US DOLLARS and there is NOT an ATM machine nearby.  If you are crossing after 6 p.m., you may pay applicable fees in pesos or dollars directly in the office of the Tax Official, otherwise you can exchange dollars for pesos at one of the import offices located just near the border (if you visit Mexico frequently, it is a good idea to keep pesos on hand).  Pay applicable taxes at Banjercito IN PESOS and return to small customs/tax building; they will keep a copy and give you a copy of the declaration. KEEP COPY OF DECLARATION WITH YOU! This will accredit the legal entry of the merchandise you are carrying.

What goods are prohibited? 
In accordance with the Law of the General Taxes of Import and Export, the following products are prohibited for the import and/or export:

• Firearms and ammunition. In order to import firearms and cartridges you must secure an import permit from the Ministry of Economy and from the Ministry of National Defense.
• Live predator fish, in their states of young fish, youthful and adult.
• Totoaba, fresh or cooled (fish).
• Frozen Totoaba (fish).
• Turtle eggs or any class.
• Poppy seeds (Narcotic).
• Flour of poppy seeds (Narcotic).
• Seeds and spores of marijuana (Cannabis indica), even though when they are mixed with other seeds.
• Marijuana (Cannabis indica).
• Juice and extracts of opium, prepared to smoke.
• Extracts and juice derived from marijuana (Cannabis indica).
• Mucilage and condensed products derived from the marijuana (Cannabis indica).
• Stamps or printed transfers in colors or in black and white, displayed for their sale in envelopes or packages, even when they include chewing gum, candies or any other type of articles, containing drawings, figures or illustrations that represent childhood in a degrading or ridiculous way, on attitudes of incitement to violence, to self-destruction or in any other form of antisocial behavior, known like Garbage Pail Kids, for example, printed by any company or commercial denomination.
• Thallium sulfate.
• Insecticide (Isodrin or Aldrin).
• Insecticide (Heptaclor or Drinox).
• Insecticide (Endrin or Mendrin or Nendrin or Hexadrin).
• Insecticide (Leptophos).
• Heroin, base or hydrochloride of diacetylmorphine.
• Medication prepared with marijuana (Cannabis indica).
• Medication prepared with acetylmorphine or of its salts or derivatives.
• Skins of turtle or doggerhead turtle.
• Goods that have been declared as archaeological monuments by the Secretariat of Public Education.

More info »